"A girl was never ruined by books," my mother used to say. I've spent most of my life trying to prove that wrong.

Sunday, April 28, 2019

Libraries Where You Can Sleep (Sort of)


The first thing I look for in a room where I am to spend the night (yes, seriously) is whether there is good light for reading in bed. This means a lamp on a bedside table that isn't so high that it shines in my eyes, and of course not an over head light that 1) will do just that and 2) require that I get out of bed to turn it off.

So I like this story in Bustle about  AirBnB accommodations  with lovely collections of books. But I also like places where guests are invited to leave a book they've finished and don't want to carry home. As Dylan Thomas had it in A Child's Christmas in Wales :

“(Miss Prothero) said the right thing, always. She looked at the three tall firemen in their shining helmets, standing among the smoke and cinders and dissolving snowballs, and she said, "Would you like anything to read?” 
 
The all-purpose question!

No comments:

Post a Comment